The Minnesota House of Representatives adjourned on May 20th, ending the first half of the 2013-2014 biennium.
From the first week of session right up to the end, I worked diligently for our border city businesses, permanent flood protection and property tax relief for all Minnesotans.
I was also pleased that the Legislature crafted a balanced and responsible budget without shifts or gimmicks, committed significant new funding to E-12 education, as well as higher education, and invested in economic development, which will allow small businesses to leverage additional private sector capital.
I have appreciated your input on all issues throughout the legislative session. I look forward to further discussions with you as the Legislature prepares for the 2014 session. Thank you for the opportunity to serve. It is an incredible honor and privilege.
Providing Property Tax Relief
Supporting Local & Small Businesses
- Chief authored the bill to reform Local Government Aid to make LGA funding more stable for local governments and provide property tax relief for all of Minnesota
- Co-authored the Homestead Credit Refund program to give more homeowners and renters larger property tax refunds
Investing in Education
- Chief authored an appropriation for the Border City Development and Enterprise Zone program to assist border city businesses
- Chief authored the bill to improve the Disparity Reduction Credit program to provide property tax relief for border city businesses
- Co-authored the bill to allow sales tax exemptions for small business capital improvement purchases
- Co-authored a bill to dedicate angel investment tax credits for businesses in Greater Minnesota
Working for Our District
- Voted to increase funding for E-12 education and create a new structure to better prepare students for higher education and the workforce
- Voted to provide higher education tuition relief by freezing tuition at the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State College and University systems
- Authored a bill to provide more higher education state aid grant funding to part-time students
- Chief authored bills to fund flood mitigation projects for Moorhead and Oakport Township
- Secured an appropriation for improvements to M.B. Johnson Park in north Moorhead
- Minnesota DFL
- AFSCME Council 5
- AFSCME Council 65
- Minnesota AFL-CIO
- Minnesota Boilermakers Local 647
- Education Minnesota
- State Representative Paul Marquart
- Former State Senator Keith Langseth
- Former State Representative and City Councilwoman Diane Wray Williams
- Former City Councilmember Mark Altenburg
- Former City Councilmember Larry Nicholson
- Former City Councilmember Greg Lemke
- Former City Councilmember John Rowell
Download Press Photos